Share/Bookmark

Photo Album

Friday, November 14

Graduation day

Today was graduation day. Jesús and I watched the Argentine film La historia oficial ("The Official Story") about a professor who teaches "official" history while her students try to learn about the history the government tries to hide. She works to uncover the real story of her adopted child while her husband tries to keep the past in the past. It was a very moving film that capped off our week's theme of human rights.

I was the only student graduating today. I gave a farewell speech much loved by everybody, that spoke of the wonderful places I'd visited and the friendly people I'd met. Silvia and Jesús wished me many happy trails and both hoped I'd come back soon. I felt sad that this unforgettable chapter in my life was coming to an end, but I promised everyone (including myself) that I would return some day.


My graduation speech:

Mis cuatro semanas en Costa Rica han sido inolvidables. Mis viajes a través de este gran país han sido todo con que soñé. Me he divertido mucho haciendo tantas cosas – ir a montar a caballo, caminar por la selva, ir a toda velocidad en un cable 150 metros en el aire, mirar tortugas en la playa, enfermarme del estómago en un bus sacudido, y aun tratar de surfear mientras estaba lloviznando y caerme en el agua muchas veces. Pero además, he tenido la oportunidad de conocer a mucha gente simpática. A Intercultura, tuve cuatro profesores maravillosos. Silvia siempre mantuvo nuestras clases interesantes por ejercicios y juegos con preguntas inocentes y atrevidas. Jesús, y además Viki y María en Sámara, me desafiaron a que aprenda español y también comprenda la cultura latina más profundamente. También, a través de mis viajes he conocido a posaderos y guías muy amigables. Y he tenido dos mamás ticas que siempre mantuvieron sus casas cómodas y siempre me mantuvieron bien alimentado. Además, he conocido a muchos nuevos amigos de todo el mundo.

Ojalá que yo vuelva a Costa Rica algún día pronto. Ojalá que mis amigos y yo podamos seguir en contacto por muchos años que vienen. Nunca me olvidaré de las experiencias maravillosas, la gente simpatiquísima, los lugares bellos y la cultura encantadora que he descubierto aquí, pues una parte de mi corazón para siempre vivirá en la tierra de pura vida.

Gracias a todos por todo. ¡Que nos veamos pronto!

English translation:

My four weeks in Costa Rica have been unforgettable. My travels through this great country have been everything I dreamed of. I've had so much fun doing so many things – going horseback riding, walking through the rainforest, flying on a cable 150 meters in the air, watching turtles on the beach, getting sick to my stomach on a swaying bus and even trying to surf in drizzling rain while falling into the water many times. But beyond that, I've had the opportunity to meet many friendly people. At Intercultura, I had four wonderful professors. Silvia always kept our classes interesting with exercises and games featuring innocent and racy questions. Jesús, along with Viki and María in Sámara, challenged me to learn Spanish and also understand Latin culture more deeply. Throughout my travels I've also met friendly innkeepers and guides. And I've had two Tica moms who always kept their homes comfortable and always kept me well fed. Beyond that, I've met many new friends from all over the world.

I hope I will return to Costa Rica some day soon. I hope my new friends and I will be able to stay in touch for many years to come. I will never forget the wonderful experiences, amazingly friendly people, beautiful places and enchanting culture I've discovered here, for a piece of my heart will forever live in the land of pura vida.

Thank you to everyone for everything. May we see each other soon!

No comments: