Share/Bookmark

Photo Album

Friday, October 31

Second nature

Today we went over the newspaper articles we'd read over the week. My overriding theme was the state of naturalism in Costa Rica. Two articles of interest that I read were about the regrowth of the monkey population in Santa Rosa National Park (the nation's first), and about environmentalist protests over a mining operation in San Carlos. The rainforest and other natural resources of this country are a major part of Costa Ricans' national identity. The country continues to wage a tug of war between developers who seek to move Costa Rica's economy and tourism industry forward, and environmentalists seeking to protect the natural resources and charm that attract that tourism in the first place.

After we talked about that, Viki gave us our final exam for Advanced 1. Our assignment was to write an essay on the relevance of mass media to us and to the world, and also design an eye-catching newspaper ad, using common attention-grabbing elements we'd reviewed – for example, phrases like "en oferta" (on sale), "50% descuentos" (50% off) and so on. Alex said he was going to retake Advanced 1 because he was having trouble with the vocabulary needed to write such an essay. I wrote my essay on my laptop but unfortunately the power went out for the second time this week (which is common) and I couldn't print out my composition and turn it in. But I checked the board for next week's classes and found that Viki graduated me to Advanced 2 anyway. In any case, I'll still try to print out my essay and turn it in to her on Monday.

No comments: